Peter Obi Net worth: Peter Obi, a wealthy politician and former governor of Anambra State, is also a prosperous businessman. Before entering politics, he worked for a while in business. Read this article to learn more about Peter Obi’s life.
Peter Obi Profile
Name Peter Gregory Obi
Date of birth 19th July 1961
State of Origin Anambra, Nigeria
Occupation Businessman, Politician
Wife Margaret Brownson Usen
Net worth $10 million
Peter Gregory Obi, his full name, was born in Onitsha, Anambra state. His loving ones referred to him as “OKWUTE,” which is Yoruba for “ROCK.” Peter Obi, who was born on July 19, 1961, received his early education in Onitsha, Anambra state. His secondary education was completed at Christ the King College in Onitsha. Peter Obi pursued his academic education at the esteemed University of Nigeria, Nsukka, where he graduated with a degree in philosophy in 1984. Peter Obi Net worth
Peter Obi has a voracious thirst for education and learning. My desire to learn more led me to leave Nigeria and enroll in prestigious international universities. He graduated from Kellogg Graduate School of Management in the United States, Oxford University, and Cambridge.
He also attended Harvard Business School in Boston, the London School of Economics, Columbia Business School in New York, the Institute for Management and Development in Switzerland, and the London School of Economics where he studied marketing management.
Peter Obi Business Career
Peter Obi was able to effectively establish a recognized career in business thanks to his intelligence and business sense. He held several managerial and business positions with a number of illustrious corporations. Several of the businesses he worked for are;
- Next International Nigeria Ltd
- Guardian Express Mortgage Bank Ltd
- Guardian Express Bank Plc
- Future View Securities Ltd
- Paymaster Nigeria Ltd
- Chams Nigeria Ltd
- Corp Ltd and Card Centre Ltd
Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan selected Peter Obi to lead the Security and Exchange Commission during his administration (SEC).
Peter Obi is a member of numerous prestigious organizations, such as the British Institute of Directors, the Nigerian Chartered Institute of Bankers, and the Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG) (IOD).
Peter Obi’s Political Career
Peter Obi ran for re-election as governor of the Anambra state in 2010. He bravely defeated his opponent, former CBN governor Professor Charles Soludo, and won the election. Following his transfer of power to Willie Obiano in 2014, he continued to rule the people of Anambra for a further four years.
In the 2019 presidential election, Peter Obi wanted to be Nigeria’s vice president. He served as Atiku Abubakar’s running mate for the People’s Democratic Party. He unfortunately lost the election to Muhammadu Buhari, the current president.
Peter Obi Awards And Recognitions
Peter Obi has won numerous awards for his noteworthy efforts in the commercial and political spheres. Several of his honors and achievements include;
- Man of the Year, Sun Newspaper, 2007
- Most Prudent Governor in Nigeria, Thisday Newspaper, 2009
- Nigeria’s Most Trustworthy Governor, Champion Newspaper, 2009
- Governor of the Year, West Africa ICT Development Award, 2010
- Zik Leadership Prize, 2011
- Best Performing Governor on Immunization in South-East Nigeria, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, 2012
- Leadership and Good Governance Award, Ezeife Leadership Foundation, 2012
- Golden Award on Prudence, Methodist Church of Nigeria, 2012
- Man of the Year, Business Hallmark Newspaper, 2012
- Man of the Year, Silverbird, 2013
- Award for Outstanding Example in Leadership and Governance, The Voice Newspaper, 2014
- Most Outstanding Igbo Man of the Decade, Champion Newspaper, 2014
- Golden Merit Award, Nigerian Library Association, 2014
- Golden Jubilee Award, Catholic Diocese of Onitsha, 2015
Peter Obi’s Net Worth
Peter Obi Cars
Peter Obi’s appropriate vehicle for his numerous commercial and political contacts in Nigeria is the opulent AMG C63. The Mercedes-Benz AMG is available as a coupe, sedan, or convertible.
Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth audio streaming, and a SiriusXM satellite radio with a six-month trial are all included in this vehicle. The initial price of this vehicle is 65 million NGN.
- Lexus LX 570
Lexus is known for making high-quality automobiles that are designed for maximum comfort and performance. The Lexus LX 570 is one of the toughest versions of the Lexus automobile line, powered by a 5.7-liter V8 that produces 403 lb-ft of torque. The automobile is about N75 million in price. Peter Obi Net worth
Peter Obi Houses
Peter Obi’s Personal Life
Gabriella Nwamaka Frances and Gregory Peter Oseloka Obi, the couple’s two children, were born to Peter Obi and Margaret Brownson Usen in 1992. He is a devout Catholic as well.
Source of wealth
I was the only engineer at South African Breweries during the Pandora Paper controversy, Peter Obi claimed in an Arise TV episode. In addition, I was bringing Ovaltine.
“The business I worked for before leaving it to my brother, who took control and fired me. That business changed its name to Next Cash and Carry, which is now located in Abuja and Port Harcourt.
Before I was elected governor, I served on the boards of three banks and served as their chairman. Peter Obi Net worth
Peter Obi Achievements
- He was the first gubernatorial candidate in Nigeria to legally challenge to its logical conclusion, his governorship electoral victory that was denied him. He won in the Courts and reclaimed his mandate.
- He was the first Governor in Nigeria to legally challenge his wrongful impeachment and was reinstated by the Courts.
- He was the first Governor in Nigeria to seek the interpretation of tenures of Governors when INEC allowed elections to take place in Anambra State when his tenure had not expired; the election already concluded was cancelled and he was allowed to complete his tenure.
- He was the first Governor to serve a 2nd term in both the new and old Anambra State, that is, almost 40 years after the creation of the State.
- He was the first Governor, whilst still in Office, to be appointed a Special Adviser to the President.
- He was the first serving Governor to be appointed to the Presidential Economic Management Team.
- He was among the first Governors to be honoured with a National Award in 2011, while still in office.
- Though the only Governor whose political party was in government in only one State, he was elected Vice-Chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum twice.
- Though the only non-PDP Governor in the South-East (made up of 5 States), he was elected by the other 4 PDP Governors as their Chairman for 8 years rather than the usual one year.
Fundamental Achievements as Governor of Anambra state
1. Sub-Sovereign Wealth savings were first introduced in Sub-Saharan Africa by the State of Anambra. While many other governors left behind enormous debts, I left behind investments worth $500 million, as well as local and international currencies and $156 million in bonds denominated in the US dollar.
2. For the first time in the state’s history, important nations including the United States, Britain, Russia, the European Union, South Africa, Belgium, Israel, the Netherlands, and Canada, among others, sent ambassadors and high commissioners to visit Anambra. Prior to his administration, the Diplomatic Corps and international development partners effectively blacklisted Anambra, making it a pariah state.
3. Development partners that were previously absent from Anambra State, such as UNDP, UNICEF, the World Bank, DFID, the European Union, etc., began cooperating with the State. Anambra has continuously been rated as one of the states with the best commitment to good governance reforms and development partnerships.
4. In the course of implementing their programs in Nigeria, the UNDP and the Millennium Development Goals Office (OSSAP-MDGs) recognized him as the country’s best governor.
5. Anambra was deemed to be the least indebted state in Nigeria by the Nigerian Debt Management Office (DMO). The State under him did not borrow money or issue bonds to fund its numerous projects, despite having obvious and quantifiable successes in a number of different industries.
6. According to the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Anambra State is the state with the most stable economy in the nation.
7. The State moved from 24th place out of 36 States to Number One in the National Examination Council (NECO) and West African Examination Council (WAEC) examinations for three consecutive years after a groundbreaking return of schools to their original owners, Voluntary Agencies (Churches), on January 1, 2009, and a partnership with the Agencies in Education that followed. This prompted the World Bank to conduct a research on this ground-breaking alliance and amazing success, which was overseen by renowned Prof. Paul Collier of Oxford University. Peter Obi Net worth
8. The State and the Churches also formed a strategic alliance in the area of health. Because of the services provided by healthcare facilities owned by voluntary organizations, this symbiotic connection significantly improved the quality of healthcare, and the state reinstated grants to the organizations and made more than $50 million in various forms of support accessible to them.
9. His Government provided financial support for the transformation of -: through a cooperation with the Church in the field of health.
- a: Iyienu Hospital, Ogidi
- b: Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Ihiala
- c: St Charles Borromeo Hospital, Onitsha
- d: Holy Rosary Hospital, Waterside, Onitsha
- e: St. Joseph Hospital, Adazi-Nnukwu.